To keep up with the steady increase in new work, 50,000feet is adding a writing position—which is great, because 50,000feet also happens to be a great place to work.
- THE WORK: From iconic brands that impress your in-laws to the one-off boutique campaigns that impress your friends.
- THE MIX: You’ll be working on everything: financial services, automotive, architecture and design, healthcare, consumer electronics—you name it.
- THE DESIGN: Ever have a great idea only to see it get bungled in layout? That will never happen here. When it comes to design, 50,000feet has an extremely deep bench. Seriously.
While there’s always the occasional wild card, the following is a snapshot of your duties.
- CAMPAIGNS: Old-school advertising agency stuff, from concepting and taglines to channel-specific executions—print, broadcast and digital.
- UNIQUE VALUE PROPOSITIONS: From weaving a narrative into a list of product specs to translating the functionality of a highly technical product into an emotional consumer benefit.
- WRITING TO LAYOUT: Faced with an existing brand identity system or one-off execution of a campaign, the team presents you with a layout and you come back with a clever headline and slick body copy within the allotted character count.
- PUNCHING UP CONTENT: A presentation filled with information-rich yet dispassionate sentences needs rewritten by trimming the fluff, rephrasing important statements in more meaningful ways and adding wit and fine-tuning rhythm.
- BRAND VOICE DEVELOPMENT: For brand identity projects, you’ll be responsible for developing the brand voice. Part of this process involves exploring many shades of a single tone of voice.
- STRATEGY: Straddling the line between writer and strategist by participating in sessions with designers, developers and other creative types that mill around the 50,000feet offices.
- INDUSTRY RESEARCH: Whether B2B or B2C, our clients tend to have rather savvy audiences, so it’s crucial that you clearly understand their businesses, industry trends, proprietary technologies and competing products.
- 5+ years of agency or journalism experience.
- Strong conceptual and writing skills.
- Excellent organization and communication skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well under pressure.
- Proactive, collaborative and team-oriented.
This position is full-time and located in Chicago.
To apply, send your resume and a link to your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the title of the position in the subject field of your email.